Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Jay9090

General :
Trouble going to sleep, low mood

starsareshining (original poster new member #85103) posted at 12:15 AM on Monday, October 7th, 2024

I was wondering if anyone else has this trouble? I am nearly three years in and hate being in my own thoughts. I have had individual counselling and couples counselling. I have flagged up already that I’m not doing well at the moment. I don’t know all the stages but it’s almost as if the adrenaline has finally left me and I’m not in a good place. I find myself staying up late, I scroll through my phone or play Tetris until I can’t keep my eyes open. It’s the only way I can cope with falling asleep, I just don’t want to have any thoughts any more. I’m keeping the kids going well, school work, their social life etc. I maintain a facade in front of friends/strangers that I’m fine, to the point where I almost try to be the life and soul in a social situation and feel totally burnt out after. I don’t really want to be around anyone but feel weirdly lonely. Does anyone else struggle with sleep or their own overthinking? I genuinely fear having to try to sleep normally rather than crashing out at 2am.
I know someone kindly suggested a trauma therapist. I’m weirdly resistant to the thought of any more therapy. I feel talked out and also feel frightened that anyone who maybe accidentally handles the situation insensitively, might tip me over the edge. I was on 60mg of citalopram but I was recommended to come off that to help with my ME. I was also told to come off HRT for the same reasons. I don’t really know where else to turn. I don’t want to take sleeping tablets as my husband works away so I can’t afford to be groggy solo parenting. I don’t feel that being doped up is the answer.
Why am I struggling more 3 years in than how I was doing 2 years ago?
Anyone relate?

id 8850401

Groot1988 ( member #84337) posted at 12:23 AM on Monday, October 7th, 2024

Ugh. So I’m only one year out so I can’t fully relate but I can relate on the not being able to fall asleep followed by the extremely horrible nightmares that haven’t stopped since discovery if the A.
Unisom is my best friend. It doesn’t make me groggy and it’s one of the few things I was allowed to take pregnant. It helps me a lot , well it helps me fall asleep not stay asleep.

I will say people here have also pushed me to see a trauma therapist and like you I was afraid. I stopped seeing her a few months back and I start again at the end of this month. I decided to lean into it if that makes sense.

Most nights like you I stress sleeping and also feel hostage to my own thoughts. I feel you starsareshining.

Married 5 years (together 11) Four children Me Bs 36Him WH 35- 4 month PA Dday Oct 6- lots of TT final disclosure Jan 16.

"If we walk through hell we might as well hold hands, we should make this a home"- citizen soldier

posts: 433   ·   registered: Jan. 6th, 2024   ·   location: Darker side of gray
id 8850402

starsareshining (original poster new member #85103) posted at 12:55 AM on Monday, October 7th, 2024

Thank you so much for your response. I’ve never heard of Unisom, I will look into it.
Please don’t be put off that I am like this 3 years on, I hope it doesn’t make you feel overwhelmed. I feel like a lot of people are doing better than me at this stage.
I know how stubborn I seem about more counselling, I’m just in such a bad way that even coming on here and writing a post is so hard. I’m having extremely low thoughts so I feel very fragile. I also have spent a lot of money on counselling/therapy so far. It’s not a bottomless pit. At some stage I need to work through this myself. My concern is, (I hate admitting this) as someone who is predisposed to depression prior to finding out what my husband did, how do I not fully spiral down. Surely the shock of d day must mess up everyone’s seratonin levels, let alone someone who already doesn’t have the right amount?
I feel like sleeping pills will just put a temporary bandage on everything for me. I know I probably need to force myself to put my phone away at a normal time of the evening and just get used to the invasive thoughts. I just don’t feel strong enough. I feel like I’ll have a full break down.

id 8850404

Groot1988 ( member #84337) posted at 1:05 AM on Monday, October 7th, 2024

Oh not at all. We all have our low points and I also had depression a lot of my life that has went undiagnosed , you are very brave for posting on here like you are at three years out, it’s admirable.

When it comes to the unisom I prefer the gels to the tabs. I get it. I was addicted to NyQuil for a long time and it took me getting pregnant to switch to unisom and it doesn’t leave me feeling groggy like nyqyil did, that crap left me feeling like I had a hangover.

I don’t look at it like a bandaid , I look at it as an aid , a lot of people that haven’t experienced infidelity use sleep aids, hell I used it when I was happy, some of us just can’t shut our thoughts off and we are just natural over thinkers.

[This message edited by Groot1988 at 1:06 AM, Monday, October 7th]

Married 5 years (together 11) Four children Me Bs 36Him WH 35- 4 month PA Dday Oct 6- lots of TT final disclosure Jan 16.

"If we walk through hell we might as well hold hands, we should make this a home"- citizen soldier

posts: 433   ·   registered: Jan. 6th, 2024   ·   location: Darker side of gray
id 8850407

IntoTheUnknown ( new member #84554) posted at 2:52 AM on Monday, October 7th, 2024

Sleep.How I miss you so much. I haven’t had a whole night of sleep in a year since my WW has left.At the most I might sleep 2 hours before I wake up and lay there a hour before falling asleep again, usually the same times every night with in minutes .Haven’t had a wake up alarm go off since all this happened, it’s like a curse on top of the nightmare I’ve been living since D day.

posts: 9   ·   registered: Mar. 4th, 2024   ·   location: Eastern US
id 8850415
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20241001a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy